- A knock-on may occur anywhere in the playing area.
- It is a knock-on when a player, in tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent, makes contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. Sanction: Scrum.
- A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm. Sanction: Penalty.
- It is not an intentional knock-on if, in the act of trying to catch the ball, the player knocks on provided that there was a reasonable expectation that the player could gain possession.
- The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:
- A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).
- A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.
- A throw forward may occur anywhere in the playing area. Sanction: Scrum.
- A player must not intentionally throw or pass the ball forward. Sanction: Penalty.